M E M O R A N D U M
TO: EES Program Administrators
FROM: Sandra Kimmons
SUBJECT: Implementation Instructions - KEESM Revision #91
This memo provides implementation instructions and information for the following January 1, 2019 policy changes in the Kansas Economic and Employment Services Manual (KEESM).
TANF – See Summary of Changes section IV, A, 3.
Effective January 1, 2019, changes are being made to the Protective Payee policy. TANF cases will not be closed for failure to provide the name of a protective payee. The agency is responsible to find a payee if one is not named by the household.
The following outline provides guidance on how the protective payee process is to be handled:
- Fails a drug test or refuses to drug test; found guilty of fraud in TANF or child care
- Notice to client to provide a protective payee – V018 and V019
- Set a Task for return of information on protective payee - 10 days out
If a protective payee is named:
- Have the protective payee sign, in front of a notary, the V018
- Have clerical staff update ebtEDGE with the protective payee information – Follow directions provided in the KEES User Manual – Protective Payee Process
- Indicate on the KEES system the TANF case is required to have a protective payee on the TANF Detail Page – Yes – This will automatically restrict the client’s access to the cash benefits.
DO NOT update KEES with the requirement of a protective payee on the TANF Detail Page until the payee is identified. The protective payee field is interfaced to EBT and will automatically restrict cash access when checked.
If a protective payee is not identified by the client:
- If after 10 days the client has not named a protective payee, the agency is responsible to name a payee on behalf of the household.
- Do not make changes to the TANF Detail Page until a payee is identified.
For SBDT requirements:
- If the agency is not able to identify a payee, the case will continue to receive TANF benefits.
For Fraud requirements:
- If the agency is not able to identify a payee, the case will close, giving 10-day additional notice.
The following have been updated in the KEES User Manual:
- TANF SBDT Ineligibility Notice
- TANF Discontinuance – No protective payee for cases found guilty of fraud
- TANF Denial – No protective payee for cases found guilty of fraud
- TANF Pending Approval – Protective Payee for cases found guilty of fraud
- DCF Standard Text for Copy and Paste
A new copy and paste notice has been created for cases where a Protective Payee is needed for the SBDT requirements:
- TANF Pending Approval – Protective Payee for SBDT requirements