KANSAS DEPARTMENT FOR CHILDREN
DCF Administration Building
555 S. Kansas Ave., 6th Floor
Topeka, KS 66603
Economic and Employment Services Program Administrators
Economic and Employment Services Staff
KDHE-HCF Staff, including the KanCare Clearinghouse
Prevention and Protection Services Administrators
Summary of Changes for Kansas Economic and Employment Services Manual (KEESM) Revision No. 79 effective January 1, 2017
OVERVIEW OF CHANGES
A brief overview of the major changes is described below. Other clarifications and technical corrections are also included and described in the next section. Additional technical corrections not mentioned here are being incorporated in KEESM, as needed.
Food Assistance – CSS referrals will now be made at application, IR, and review or when a household composition change is made known to the agency.
Temporary absence is being defined to help administer residency requirements for food assistance.
Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)– The "Deep Subsidy" definition is being changed. It is now defined as a subsidy from HUD representing 50% or more of the household's gross income. if the subsidy meets or exceeds 50% of the household's gross income. The household must meet the LIEAP energy vulnerability criteria if the subsidy is less than 50% its gross income.
DESCRIPTION, PURPOSE, AND DETAILS OF POLICY CHANGE
- All Programs
- Who May Be Interviewed – Clarification is being added to KEESM 1412.2 stating that minor children are not to be interviewed or used for interpretation, even at the request of the parent.
- Employment Services
- Provisions Specific to TANF Support Services/Component Costs/Contracted Employment Services/Employment Services – Clarification is being added to KEESM 3410 stating that caretaker relatives are not eligible for JO-TR services if they choose to have themselves removed from the TANF case and continue to receive assistance for the child.
- Food Assistance
- Referral to Child Support Services - KEESM 2163 is being changed to state a food assistance CSS referral should be sent at application, IR, and review if needed or when a household composition change is made known to DCF.
- Residence - KEESM 2150 is being changed and clarified to help administer residency requirements for food assistance. 2150 changes include defining temporary absence from the state exists as when a visit for a period of less than one calendar month is made out of the state and the intent is to return. Household members away from home because of a vacation or illness will maintain their household member status if they are in the home during any part of the calendar month. If the absence is to cover a full calendar month, the individual(s) should be removed from the household.
- Persons Exempt from the ABAWD Provision - Clarification is being added to KEESM 2521 to state a person determined to be cooperating and currently eligible for VR services would meet ABAWD exemption criteria.
- Reporting Requirements - KEESM 9122.1 is being clarified to update the 12 Month Report form title.
- Treatment Center Responsibilities - KEESM 2541.4 is being clarified to add the Area EES Program Administrator or his/her designee shall receive a list of currently participating residents.
- Households That Cannot be Required to Submit an Interim Report - KEESM 9122.4 is being clarified to state persons applying for PMDT determination are not considered disabled when they initially apply for benefits. Therefore, these households must complete an interim report form (unless 60 or over).
- Energy Vulnerability Requirement – KEESM section 13340 is being modified to reflect the change in the "Deep Subsidy" definition to a subsidy representing 50% or more of the household gross income. Verbiage is also being added to indicate that households must meet the LIEAP vulnerability criteria if the subsidy is less than 50% of its gross income.
FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
ES-1640, Statement of Understanding - Employed Income Eligible Child Care Assistance. Fields have been added for name and case number. It was added to KEESM in November 2016.
ES-4309, Drs. Statement, has been reformated and was added to KEESM in December 2016.
APPENDIX (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
MISCELLANEOUS FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
All changes are effective January 1, 2017, unless specified otherwise in the implementation memo.
EFFECT ON LOCAL STAFF (No significant effect if not explained below.)
MATERIALS OBSOLETED BY THIS REVISION
This change was coordinated with staff in Economic and Employment Services, Executive leadership, and the EES Program Administrators.
Sandra Kimmons, EES Director
Economic and Employment Services