KANSAS DEPARTMENT FOR CHILDREN
DCF Administration Building
555 S. Kansas Ave., 6th Floor
Topeka, KS 66603
Economic and Employment Services Program Administrators
Economic and Employment Services Staff
Prevention and Protection Services Administrators
Summary of Changes for Kansas Economic and Employment Services Manual (KEESM) Revision No. 86 effective Jan. 01, 2018
OVERVIEW OF CHANGES
A brief overview of the major changes is described below. Other clarifications and technical corrections are also included and described in the next section. Additional technical corrections not mentioned here are being incorporated in KEESM, as needed.
All Programs – Text related to the the legacy systems is being removed or, where appropriate, updated to reflect the change to KEES.
References to medical programs are being removed and language changed where necessary to accurately express the policy of the DCF programs.
These changes have required some formatting changes related to numbering and order of some sections.
All funeral arrangements are being exempted as a resource.
Food Assistance – Change in claims threshold amount. Interim Report process change is being added. Additional allowable dependent care expenses are being added. Removing wording in Civil Rights Complaints.
Food Assistance and TANF – Coverdell Educational Savings Accounts are being added to resource exemptions.
DESCRIPTION, PURPOSE, AND DETAILS OF POLICY CHANGE
- All Programs
- Funeral Agreements – KEESM 5430(8) is being changed to indicate the value of all funeral arrangements are exempt.
- Child Care
- Provider Selection – KEESM 10010 is being updated to clarify that Child Care Providers may apply for child care for their own children but care cannot be paid to their facility if they are the owner.
This statement is also in Section 7600.
Enhanced Rate for Special Care – KEESM 10260 (4) is being updated to clarify that a new Enhanced Rate form and supporting documentation is not needed yearly if the child’s condition is permanent. Workers should follow the instructions in the KEES User Manual and communicate with the Provider Enrollment staff that the Enhanced Rate task is for a review and not an initial request.
- Food Assistance
- Collecting Claims – KEESM 11126 is being changed to indicate claims will not be established for $125 or less. For all claims greater than $125, collection action shall be initiated.
- Interim Report – If a household fails to file a complete IR within 10 days of it being mailed, the agency shall provide the household with an IR reminder notice advising the household that it has 10 days from the date of the reminder notice to file a complete IR. If an eligible household files a complete IR/12 month report during this 10-day period, the agency shall provide it with an opportunity to participate no later than 10 days after it’s normal issuance date. If the household does not respond to the reminder notice, the case will close and the closure notice will be sent.
KEESM 9122.6 is being updated with this change.
- Dependent Care – With client statement, expenses may also include activity fees and the cost of transportation to and from dependent care facilities and shall be allowed as an ongoing expense. The federal reimbursement mileage rate is to be used when calculating this expense. If the expense information is questionable, verification is required.
KEESM 7224 is being updated with this change.
- Civil Rights Complaints – The wording "sexual orientation, or marital or family status" will be removed from KEESM 1630.
- Food Assistance and TANF
- Learning Quest/Coverdell Education Savings Account/and Other 529 Educational Savings Plans – Coverdell Education Savings Account plans are being added to 5430(16) as exempt for food assistance and TANF.
- Successful Families
- TANF Participation Rate Requirements – 3110.1(2) is being changed to remove a household from the Two-Parent Family definition if the only mutual child is an unborn.
- Post Secondary Education – 3330.8 is being changed to reflect the definition of Post Secondary Education as an activity that is to be used when a client is referred to the Hope Mentoring Program and when the client is working with the Transitional Retention Services worker.
- Work Experience – 3310.4(1) is being clarified to show a work site developed and/or monitored by a contracted employment service provider is not required to have a Cooperative Work Site Agreement with DCF, as DCF’s contract with the provider requires the provider to have an agreement with the site.
- Supervised Community Service Program – 3310.6 is being clarified to show a work site developed and/or monitored by a contracted employment service provider is not required to have a Cooperative Community Service Program Agreement with DCF, as DCF’s contract with the provider requires the provider to have an agreement with the site.
- Refugee Employment Services – 3330.11 is being added back to KEESM with no change in the definition.
- Ksworks/Keytrain – 3330.12 is a change in name only as the definition remains the same. The old activity ‘Cash Closed for Work Program Non-Cooperation Penalty’ has been replaced with the Ksworks/Keytrain activity.
- Kansas Health Profession Opportunity Program – 3330.14 is being added back to KEESM with no change in the definition.
- Provisions Specific to TANF Support Services – 3410 is being clarified to show which activity the client should have open when placed in transitional services. Ksworks/Keytrain will be used if the client is on a WP penalty. Post Secondary Education will be used if the client is working with Hope Mentoring or the Transitional Retention Services worker.
FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
APPENDIX (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
B-5, Appeal Summary, is being reformated. Spaces for six household members are now available.
MISCELLANEOUS FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
All changes are effective Jan. 01, 2018, unless specified otherwise in the implementation memo.
EFFECT ON LOCAL STAFF (No significant effect if not explained below.)
MATERIALS OBSOLETED BY THIS REVISION
ES-4107, Expedited Paternity Request. This document is no longer needed.
This change was coordinated with staff in Economic and Employment Services, Executive leadership, and the EES Program Administrators.
Sandra Kimmons, EES Director
Economic and Employment Services