STATE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL 06-22-11
Integrated Services Delivery
Docking State Office Building
Room 581 - West
Topeka, Kansas 66612
Economic and Employment Support Program Administrators
Economic and Employment Support Staff
KHPA Staff, including the HealthWave Clearinghouse
Social Service Administrators
Summary of Changes for Kansas Economic and Employment Support Manual (KEESM) Revision No. 48 effective July 1, 2011.
OVERVIEW OF CHANGES
A brief overview of the major changes is described below. Other clarifications and technical corrections are also included and described in the next section. Additional technical corrections not mentioned here are being incorporated in KEESM as needed.
Food Assistance and TAF - There are also several policy clarifications being included in this revision including recent policy changes regarding checking The Work Number.
General Assistance – Due to legislative budgetary action, the General Assistance program will no longer offer a cash benefit to eligible recipients.
Medical Assistance – All references to the Kansas Health Policy Authority (KHPA) in the manual have been changed due to the agency’s transition to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. The average nursing home private pay daily rate used to calculate transfer penalties has changed. The resource test for children and young adults under the age of 21 years old has been eliminated. Medical services and items provided outside of the United States are considered non-medically necessary.
DESCRIPTION, PURPOSE, AND DETAILS OF POLICY CHANGE
- Food Assistance and TAF
- The Work Number and BARI/BASI – Modifications are being made to the requirement to check The Work Number and BARI/BASI for possible employment. With this revision, clarifications are included that these systems do not need to be checked if the person is getting SSI or Social Security Disability and they only need to be checked for persons age 18-65. KEESM sections 1322.1(1)(e),9122.6(1)(c) and 9333 are being modified to incorporate these changes.
- General Assistance
- KEESM 1111 Cash Assistance and Employment Support, is being revised to clarify that the GA program now only offers a medical benefit but also explain that applicants must still meet the established eligibility criteria for the GA cash program in order to be considered for a medical benefit.
- KEESM 1724 Social Security Disability Advocacy Project, The advocacy requirement for the General Assistance program is being eliminated therefore; this material is no longer applicable and is being removed.
- KEESM 2314 General Assistance Reintegration (GA RN), removes references to “GA needs standard and shelter standard.
- KEESM 2315 Application for Social Security Benefits, KLS is no longer the Agency’s contractor for advocacy services related to GA recipients pursuing Social Security Disability benefits. References to KLS have been removed.
- KEESM 2316 Interim Assistance Reimbursement (IAR), With the elimination of the cash benefit for GA, there is no longer a need to pursue reimbursement of cash benefits from the Social Security Administration. This material is no longer applicable and is being removed and labelled Reserved.
- KEESM 2663 Presumptive Medicaid Disability (PMD) is being updated to clarify that there is no longer a GA cash benefit available.
- Medical Mssistance
- Executive Reorganization – Pursuant to Executive Reorganization Order No. 38 (2011), the Kansas Health Policy Authority (KHPA) will become the Division of Health Care Finance within the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). This will be a transparent transition with no substantial changes in medical eligibility related processes. To accommodate this change, all references to Kansas Health Policy Authority (KHPA) in the KEESM have been changed to Kansas Department of Health and Environment – Division of Health Care Finance (KDHE – DHCF).
- Transfer of Property – The average nursing home private pay daily rate in the state has increased from $136.14 to $145.42. The new rate is effective with all penalty periods with a start date on or after July 1, 2011.
KEESM section 5724.4(2) and Appendix item W-9 (Transfer of Property Worksheet) will be updated with this revision. In addition, the electronic Transfer of Property Worksheet will be updated and reissued. Previous versions will be obsolete and should be discarded.
- Elimination of Resource Test – The resource test has been eliminated for children and young adults under the age of 21 years old. This change is effective immediately. A separate implementation memo concerning this policy change will be issued.
KEESM sections 2666, 5130, 8113, 8142(2), 8183 and 8242(2) will be updated with this revision.
- Non-Medically Necessary Services – Medical services and items provided outside of the United States are considered to be non- medically necessary and therefore not allowable as an expense against spenddown or to reduce an HCBS obligation.
KEESM Appendix, Item P-1 (Medical Necessity) will be updated with this revision.
FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
APPENDIX (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
MISCELLANEOUS FORMS (Explanation provided if not mentioned previously in this summary.)
F-4, TABLE I-TAF/GA NonShared Living. This will no longer be applicable for GA, so "GA" will be removed from the title for this table.
B-6, Request for Trust/Annuity Clearance
P-1, Medical Necessity
W-9, Transfer of Property Worksheet
The policies in this revision are effective July 1, 2011, except for the elimination of the resource test for children and young adults which is effective with the issuance of the separate implementation memo for that policy.
EFFECT ON LOCAL STAFF
Most of the medical changes contained in this revision will have little or no net affect on local staff. The elimination of the resource test for children and young adults will require some effort by eligibility staff to acclimate to the new policy.
MATERIALS OBSOLETED BY THIS REVISION
IM-3110, Interim Assistance Reimbursement for Initial Claims and Post Eligibility Payments Authorization
IM-3110.1, Interim Assistance Reimbursement (Notice of Apportionment)
F-6, TABLE III – GA NonShared Living
F-7, GA Pro Rata Tables
F-10, GA Pro Rata Basic and Shelter Allowance
Within EES, the material in this letter and manual revision has been coordinated with staff in Economic and Employment Support, the EES Program Administrators, the Implementation Planning Team, and the Training Advisory Team.
Kathe Decker, Director
Economic and Employment Support