KANSAS DEPARTMENT FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES
DCF Administration Building
555 S. Kansas Ave., 6th Floor
Topeka, KS 66603
Economic and Employment Services Program Administrators
Economic and Employment Services Staff
Prevention and Protection Services Administrators
Summary of Changes for Kansas Economic and Employment Services Manual (KEESM) Revision No. 109 effective April 1, 2023
OVERVIEW OF CHANGES-
A brief overview of the major changes is described below. Other clarifications and technical corrections are also included and provided in the next section. Additional technical corrections not mentioned here are being incorporated in KEESM as needed.
All Programs –
KEESM is being modified to reflect a change in the federal language for victims of sexual harassment and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
Child Care –
New poverty-level guidelines have been published by the Department of Health and Human Services. These guidelines affect the eligibility standards in the Child Care program. State Median Income figures are also being adjusted. Family share deductions are also being adjusted.
Employment Services –
Short-term nonrecurrent payments are not to extend past 4 months.
The interview process is being updated for Eligibility to include a referral for sexual harassment, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
DESCRIPTION, PURPOSE, AND DETAILS OF POLICY CHANGE
I. Employment Services
- KEESM 3100 1.a., 3130, 3310.1, 3310.8, 3330.9- This section is being modified to reflect a change in the federal language by adding sexual harassment & stalking to the same category as domestic violence & sexual assault.
- KEESM 3100 1. d. Work Requirements for TANF - This section has been clarified to show mandatory disqualified members (drug felons, refused SBDT, and failed SBDT) residing in eligible TANF households will be contacted by Employment Services and given information about employment service opportunities, community support services and/or vocational rehabilitation services. TANF time limits will be explained and an opportunity to enroll in employment activities will be offered. No penalty will be assessed if the disqualified member chooses not to participate.
- KEESM 3100 2. b. Work Requirements for Food Assistance -
This section has been clarified to show no payments are to be allowed past 4 months.
This section has been clarified to show education and training related payments are not considered non-recurrent short-term benefits if the client is employed
- KEESM 3130 Employment Services Assessment Process -
This section has been renamed ‘Employment Services Assessment Process’ and references to the Assessment Requirements for TANF Applicants have been removed.
b. References to the SASSI have been replaced with the generic term ‘substance use screening’.
The substance use screening includes the SASSI, the UNCOPE, or any other substance use screening tool as defined by the contractor.
c. Titles have been updated. Case manager has been replaced with career navigator. Supervisor has been replaced with Employment Services Program Administrator. TABE has been replaced with Adult Basic Education Testing.
- KEESM 3310.8 Job Search/Job Readiness - This section has been clarified to show clients are responsible for documenting their hours of participation.
- KEESM 3330.9 Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault - Titles have been updated. DV/SA survivor has been replaced with DV/SA activity participant to remove labels.
- Agency’s Responsibilities For the Interview – KEESM 1412.3 (5) is being modified to reflect changes in the DV/SA referral process. A referral for services may be made at any time by completing the ES-4416 DCF/DVSA Referral Form and sending it to DCF.EESDVSA@ks.org. Local Services are available on the Kansas Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence website: http//kcsdv.org
- KEESM 1723, 2130, 2162, 2165, 2242, 2243, 2251, 13330 are being modified to reflect a change in the federal language for victims of sexual harassment and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
B. Clarifications –
ES-4417 DV/SA Referral Form for Employment Services
ES-4416 Sexual Harassment/Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault or Stalking Referral Form (Eligibility)
F-1, Monthly Family Income and Family Share Deduction Schedule, is being updated with the information related to the new poverty-level guidelines.
All policies in this revision are effective April 1, 2023. Additional information is being included in the Implementation Memo.
EFFECT ON LOCAL STAFF
MATERIALS OBSOLETED BY THIS REVISION
ES-4417 DCF/S.A.F.E. Project Referral
Within EES, the material in this letter and manual revision has been coordinated with staff in Economic and Employment Services, the EES Program Administrators, the Implementation Planning Team, the Training Advisory Team. The medical material has been coordinated with KDHE. Successful Families material has been coordinated with the Work Experience/Community Service Work Site Development/Utilization Work Group, DCF Legal.
Sandra Kimmons, Director
Economic and Employment Services